Continuing Home

The ongoing saga of a Continuing Anglican church home, as seen by a member of the laity.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

A former member returns!

I would be remiss if I didn't report that the surprise return of one of our members was noted with joy on Sunday.

It's always feels like a loss when somebody leaves for whatever reason: whether it's a move elsewhere, in anger, a slipping away that becomes final, or even that it's a poor fit. But sometimes they return, and that's always a happy occasion.

In this case a couple moved away almost a couple years ago in a job-related move.

Yesterday she returned, having moved back to the area. What happened between then and now I do not know. In our chat Sunday I didn't ask; it's not my business. I got the impression there may be ongoing issues; if so, I hope she comes back actively.

Sometimes it seems we attract people struggling with issues (and sometimes our members have issues come upon them); but I have seen how the parish often reaches out to hold, comfort, pray for and support them in various ways. Sometimes things are restored and get better; sometimes not.

We're still human, we still fail (in big ways and little: I still haven't gotten around to fixing that gutter, for example), but to me our church feels like family that's trying.

So to our returnee I say: Welcome back -- we are so happy to see you again!!

1 Comments:

  • At 7:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi - thanks for your blog! It makes lovely, faith-full reading even for someone like me, a Presbyterian from the less formal end of the spectrum. I got here from GadgetVicar's blog.

    Just one encouragement for you. The fabric guy in our denomination retired a few years ago, and said to the assembled worthies (1000 of them) at General Assembly (a bit like General Synod) "I have one word for you: Gutters!" - his point, that early work on gutters saves thousands on later fabric repairs. Maybe that's one job you might pick up sooner than later...
    Much love and prayers

    Mike

     

Post a Comment

<< Home