Continuing Home

The ongoing saga of a Continuing Anglican church home, as seen by a member of the laity.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Service and Old St. Paul's

Old St. Paul's Church Before I took off for a conference in Baltimore last week, Fr. Daniel suggested I visit Old St. Paul's; a church dating back to 1692. He had gone there, while working on his doctoral dissertation on church choirs, because of their reknowned boys' and mens' choirs. I had some free time the morning of my flight home, so I walked the three or so blocks from the hotel up to Old St. Paul's.

Unfortunately, at that hour of the morning it was all closed up. So upon my return, Fr. Daniel loaned me a glossy full-color booklet from Old St. Paul's. Apparently they were in a search for a new Rector at the time the booklet was published, because that was noted in the booklet. But what was interesting also was the following column on page 13:

Opportunities for Lay Service
Acolyte Guild including Junior Acolytes
Altar Guild
Brotherhood of St. Andrew
Choir Parents
Diocesan Delegates
Flower Guild
Hospitality Committee
Lay Eucharistic Ministry
Lectors, Lay Readers & Chalice Bearers
St. Luke's Guild
Sunday Forum Committee
Sunday School Teachers
Transitional Housing Program Committee
Ushers Guild
Some of these we have, such as Altar Guild and Sunday School Teachers. Some we've discussed, such as the Brotherhood of St. Andrew. An Ushers Guild sounds a bit big and formal for our little parish -- but maybe not a bad idea. We, of course, do not have the office of Chalice Bearer; that is left to the clergy. St. Luke's Guild -- that was a puzzler until I did an Internet search: it turns out to be a home for more lay ministries (including some of the above).

3 Comments:

  • At 5:41 AM, Blogger J. Gordon Anderson said…

    You should have e-mailed me! I know the verger at OSP, and could have gotten him to let you in and give you a tour.

    The former choir director, David Reily, and a substantial portion of their choir went to a continuing church a few years ago when the new rector at OSP tried to force them to add girls to the men and boys choir. That was in the ACC. Now the parish where they are is in the ACA.

     
  • At 5:47 PM, Blogger Continuing Home said…

    I considered that, but failed to find an e-mail address.

    I'll be back in the area (somewhat: Gaithersburg, though I come through BWI often enough) the week of April 24th, though I don't know what kind of down time I'm going to have.

    Interesting about the history. Fr. McGrath gave me the name of the Continuing church, which I have written down (somewhere). The things that have been wrecked in the cause of PC... though this is at least to the gain of the ACA parish.

    Looking forward to seeing how your Spanish Deacon's Mass goes! It made me think of the church my grandfather built (and is interred in) in Mexico, though it appears the congregation is still largely Anglo. Another St. Paul's:
    http://stpauls.com.mx/index.html

     
  • At 5:15 AM, Blogger J. Gordon Anderson said…

    I took down my e-mail address, but here it is for future reference:

    saintjamestheaverage@yahoo.com

    E-mail me when you in this neck of the woods again! I actually attended the ACA church that has the choir remnants when I was in seminary, but then it was ACC.

    Please keep the deacon's mass in your prayers!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home