Continuing Home

The ongoing saga of a Continuing Anglican church home, as seen by a member of the laity.

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Bad Habit

I don't know if all churches experience this, or if it's just a result of our being so widespread.

I've noticed that people know just how long it takes to get to church Sunday morning (for me, 22 minutes plus or minus one). At 12 minutes before the service there will be a few people already there, but the big influx starts about 5 minutes before the service.

This is a shame, because there is then no time for reflection before the service begins. Also there is the inevitable result that one will be late, arriving during the procession -- or after.

When I was growing up we would try to be at church at least 10 minutes before the service, about the time the candles were lit. I don't recall whether that was just our family's practice, though.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:56 AM, Blogger J. Gordon Anderson said…

    That is a very bad habit. We have people at our parish that do it too, and it drives everyone crazy. We even have people come in during the gospel reading, and sometimes during the sermon, which creates a huge distraction when you are trying to proclaim God's word.

     
  • At 7:05 PM, Blogger Mark said…

    I'm old school. I wanna be there early. I'm usually 15 minutes early.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home