Continuing Home

The ongoing saga of a Continuing Anglican church home, as seen by a member of the laity.

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Mens' Breakfast

We had a rather small turnout for the Mens' Breakfast this morning. But for some feeling of obligation it might have been even smaller by one; I do not sleep well in the heat and so I was not feeling at all well this morning. But after Matins taking twice my normal weekly consumption (one cup) of coffee this morning helped a bit -- maybe more so because this morning's coffee was prepared to Fr. Daniel's exacting precise and effective recipe for "Hallelujah! Wake The Dead!!"-strength stuff!

Matins was held downstairs in the Parish Hall, using the impromptu altar set up during the Choir Day Camp. Although I hadn't noted things as being excessively warm outside on arrival, it was nice being in the cooler Hall.

Fr. Daniel made comments about conducting Holy Communion down there tomorrow, but I think in jest. If nothing else, Mary Ellen and Josette were making sure the altar (upstairs) would be ready. I just hope Fr. Daniel will allow fans in the Sanctuary (in my life there's a lot of precedent, going back to the early 60s) because it is going to be a scorcher again tomorrow and our various preparations will be of only marginal help.

("Scorcher" right now is 92F, 38% RH; we're not used to such punishing conditions, and I just pray Heaven will be a delightful eternity of light drizzle alternating with occasional showers under medium gray clouds at 51F/11C, and no moss.)

In any event, I was prepared for Matins, Breakfast and Fellowship (those who didn't make it missed out), but not for an impromptu, un-called, light and completely voluntary work party. I was wearing, for example, my best (I'm not enough the West-Coaster to call them my "dress") sneakers.

Paul Jr. who'd returned yesterday from an extended family vacation (where? Latin America?), showed up to help prepare the ground where the new toolshed will stand. This toolshed will replace the old infested and strongly-built (thank you, Howard S.!) "toolbox" dating back to the '80s that disappeared after the last Mens' Breakfast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home