Continuing Home

The ongoing saga of a Continuing Anglican church home, as seen by a member of the laity.

Thursday, June 01, 2006

St. Bartholomew's Day Choir Camp for Girls

Fr. McGrath has been considering and planning this for some time but only recently nailed down the dates for St. Bartholomew's Day Choir Camp for Girls (June 27, 28 and 29) and produced a flyer.

Just as I was about to start typing in some material from that flyer, I noticed that Fr. Daniel had e-mailed out a copy. So once it finishes downloading, I will quote from it here. (I am sure it will be up on our website soon too.)

From earlier discussions we've had there will be an application form once the legal aspects are hammered out. The camp is free (though donations are requested) in part if I have this right, to some generous benefactors. Fr. Daniel and Josephine will be the choir teachers, and several other parishioners who have volunteered to teach and direct other aspects of the day camp, including Rhonda and Josette.

Uh oh... the flyer finished downloading but the ZIP archive is corrupted and won't open. Oh well, here is a bit from the paper copy (any errors are mine):

Four Reasons why your daughter may want to take part in St. Bartholomew's Choir Camp this June...

...the Camp  The goal of this camp is to provide our girl choristers with the opportunity to increase their musical skills, learn new choral repertoire, worship God, build friendships and have a good time. Musical instruction will be lead by professional, university trained musicians ["trained" is a bit of an understatement in my opinion -CH], in a safe, supportive environment. Since St. Bartholomew's is an affiliate of the Royal School of Church Music, we are pleased to be able to offer the RSCM's well-established Voice for Life chorister training program. This is a graded program which helps young singers learn how to read music, sing with beautiful healthy vocal technique, and handle themselves well in Church. Each of these skills will remain valuable for a lifetime of singing.

...

I have to say I'm a bit envious of the opportunity these girls have. I sang in a church choir (as an adult) for a year or two quite some time ago ago, with fair instruction -- but nothing like what I believe Fr. McGrath and Josephine can provide. Even so I extended my vocal range quite a bit and was told it was "naturally" wider than normal. Of course the years of wild wanton wastrel [TM] living ever since have taken their toll and most those gains and more have been lost.

Hmmm... I thought I remembered an Anglican blogger writing about a camp for Anglican Chant a year or two ago, but all I can find is one from him on Gregorian chant.

Update June 3rd: The church's website now announces the camp.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am also envious of the opportunity the girls will have with such fine instructors and caring parents involved in this camp. I talked with Fr. Daniel about what I am hearing within the congregation ...more 4 part harmony (oh, Joy!) :) One of my dreams over the years has been to have a fully functioning choir (Men and Women) singing praises to Almighty God. Well, last Sunday we had a pretty full church and there were many voices singing parts. A small sampling of how Heaven might sound.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home