Continuing Home

The ongoing saga of a Continuing Anglican church home, as seen by a member of the laity.

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Vestryman's Vacation

Well, it was not such a big deal to me but others made a lot of noise about it so I might as well mention it: Today's Vestry meeting is likely my last in a long, long time of continuously being on St. Bartholomew's Vestry.

To tell the truth, I don't clearly recall when last I was not on the Vestry, though I know that at least in 1993 I wasn't. It's likely I went (back) on in 1994. I became Clerk in 2001, at least by the first Vestry meeting (2/18/2001) following the Annual Parish Meeting: I wrote the minutes of that meeting. Already this was becoming a bit like my day job as Secretary, Vice-Chair and Chairman of various technical committees.

(Interesting to re-read those minutes; they note that two lights to illuminate the walkway from above down to the Parish Hall would be installed in time for the Shrove Tuesday Pancake Supper. Today those lights are not in use -- perhaps they weren't positioned well. But we have other lights now.)

As I said it's not a big deal to me and I rather anticipate being asked to stand for the Vestry again next year. (Will I be disappointed if I'm not asked? Who is ever disappointed at not being asked to stand for the Vestry?! I'll just take it as evidence that they've got better candidates, especially given that I rate my own follow-through on projects as below my own standards -- and to be frank, others need to be able to serve in these positions to build their own sense of belonging to our church.)

I think it's probably not a good idea to remain on a Vestry for too long a time without a break, which is in part why I insisted this year on a break. In retrospect, the reason I've been on for so long has an awful lot to do with being in the "wrong" place at the "wrong" time, several times.

But I look forward to a vacation while I resolve personal issues such as a change of employment (which would take me off the aforementioned committees), and maybe even a resultant local change of residence.

I'm not off the Vestry yet -- we still have the Annual Parish Meeting three weeks hence. (And the requisite advance announcements will be made in church the next two Sundays, per our Canons.)

I think a break might be welcome, once I adjust to it. A break will at least be different, even strange, but if asked I am quite sure I'll stand again. I haven't spent almost a quarter-century of my life in this church without becoming devoted to seeing its continuance forward.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home