Continuing Home

The ongoing saga of a Continuing Anglican church home, as seen by a member of the laity.

Saturday, August 04, 2007

All for nothing (update: or not?)

While rebuilding the computer that crashed, I discovered that ALL the camp photos are gone except for a series taken during Sunday's Holy Communion, which happened to be on a different machine.

4:45 PM UPDATE: They aren't all lost after all! I remembered a recovery utility I've had around for some time; it was able to go in and find the picture files still there, and copy them to another location. I lost a few, covering Friday night and Saturday morning, because they were overwritten by some pictures taken since I'd cleared the card but the rest are there.

Guess I have some work to do after all.

2 Comments:

  • At 9:54 AM, Blogger Tregonsee said…

    CH,

    As someone who has been saved many times by a good backup, take a look at Acronis TrueImage or Norton Ghost. They can be set for automatic backup to a second drive, or an inexpensive external hard drive. Last year my main hard disk crashed. Aside from the trip to the store and installation, it took me about 2 minutes of my time, and 15 minutes of the computer's time to restore everything current to the preceding day's backup.

     
  • At 10:06 AM, Blogger Continuing Home said…

    Thanks. Actually, for my Windows machines I use FileBack PC -- but this machine was running Linux and backups are done manually.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home