Continuing Home

The ongoing saga of a Continuing Anglican church home, as seen by a member of the laity.

Friday, July 13, 2007

A precious gift

A few weeks ago I was talking with Frank, who recently moved into the office next to mine, and mentioned something about my church. He inquired, and I remember saying something that said "Anglican." I thought no more about it despite the office environment typical in the Pacific Northwest, where to talk about such things "is not done." (I've decided I don't care anymore -- and the reactions have been both interesting and surprisingly good!).

I thought no more about it... until a few days ago.

Frank, who it seems is always coming up with little gifts for people, came up with one for me on his birthday! I hadn't realized before how much a bibliophile he is, as well as an American history buff focusing on the Founding Fathers, but he invited me over to his office and presented me with this:

Opening it, I was floored: A miniature Book of Common Prayer and Hymnal (cover: "Hymns A & M", inside "Hymns Ancient & Modern" -- wait a minute, Fr. Daniel told us about that in one of the Schola Cantorum sessions and as he said, there's no music, just the words.)

Each book is 4" high, 2-1/4" wide, 11/16" thick, with a little case for the two. Church of England obviously, but undated. They look like they were well-made to begin with, and they've clearly seen lots of use but not abuse. I've tried to date them (there is no date inside) using the title page, but no luck.

Kathy thought "Army Chaplain" when she saw them. Very likely. I wonder where they've been? (Interestingly, the BCP opens readily to p. 227, "St. Bartholomew the Apostle"!) And how they ended up on eBay, where Frank saw them and thought of his Anglican friend.

Frank, if you're reading this: Thank you!!!!

2 Comments:

  • At 2:12 PM, Blogger Anglicans Aweigh said…

    ...and they look even better in person. Could something like this be standard issue for our troops in Iraq? (Oops, I forgot for a moment that the Elizabethan Settlement is not part of the American Constitution. Or, perhaps I wanted to forget that.)

     
  • At 3:49 PM, Blogger Continuing Home said…

    Interestingly, there was an American Campaign Prayer Book intended for use by American servicemen in WWI! It was an abridged version of the 1982. Take a look.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home