Continuing Home

The ongoing saga of a Continuing Anglican church home, as seen by a member of the laity.

Sunday, October 15, 2006

The Church Fathers now in the library

Last week Fr. Daniel noted a new addition to the parish library; a 38 volume set of the Church Fathers, organized into three groups: the Ante-Nicene Fathers, The Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers Series I and II.

I had not realized there was so much material, that what we heard from them in our 9-month study of Ephesians probably barely scratched the surface! Suddenly I feel so ignorant, when I can at best name only a very few of them.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:36 PM, Blogger Anglicans Aweigh said…

    I first encountered this fine set when I was studying at Theological College. It was first published in the 19th century, and is still the standard, showing how little some things have changed in scholarship.

    I can't help but feel a twinge of regret, knowing that I will probably not be able to read each of these precious volumes in their entirety...at least not my in lifetime.

     
  • At 8:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Search a bit and you can find the entire set for about $200 from Christian Book Distributors
    (a steal at twice the price) or Roman Catholic translations on CD-ROM for about the same price.

    After the AV of the Bible, the Book or Common Paryer, the 1940 Hymnal, the People's Anglican Missal (for occasion al supplementation), and Butler's lives of the Saints, a strong argument can be made that no Anglican needs any other books.

    XP

     

Post a Comment

<< Home