Continuing Home

The ongoing saga of a Continuing Anglican church home, as seen by a member of the laity.

Thursday, December 07, 2006

An Ancient Hymn for Advent

The latest Earth and Altar (our parish newsletter, for which I still have not come up with a good graphic despite my intentions) is now out.

In amongst the announcements, the schedule of services and other activities, a message from Fr. Daniel about the Incarnation and much more (do take a look!), is a hymn under the above heading.

Reading through the music (as it was presented to the Schola Cantorum last? Sunday), it was with a small shock that I realized I recognized this hymn! Back in the mid-70s I had bought an LP, "A Medieval Christmas" by the Boston Camerata. It became the favorite of all my Christmas albums, to the point where it was too far gone -- too many scratches, pops and other noise to listen to anymore.

Some years ago I started searching for it again, and after two or three years hit paydirt. I cannot fully express the delight I had at learning it was now on CD! Such a delight to listen to one of my old favorites, track #5, Conditer alme siderum again.

But never, ever did I think it might be in our Hymnal (1940). I thought I knew all the Advent hymns, but this one got by me. Until now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home