Continuing Home

The ongoing saga of a Continuing Anglican church home, as seen by a member of the laity.

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Last (light) Supper

Today was the next to last of our Evensong/Supper/Bible Study sessions for Lent. After Evensong (during which I discovered that the front Epistle-side pew is missing one of its two kneelers) we had a pleasant supper of the Millers' meatless chili (*very* delicious if un-Texan!), cornbread and Debra's excellent potato salad. Amusingly, Kathy prefers Debra's and Debra prefers Kathy's -- they're both good, just very different.

Kathy reminded us that today is Norooz, Persian New Year. I know she'd been delivering roses to our Iranian friends: Muslim, Christian and Baha'i alike. She came this evening with a photo in her camera of a new Persian calligraphic art piece by the proprietor, chef and artist at our local Persian restaurant. Essentially they take a phrase or saying, and turn it into art (examples at the link). On my office wall is a print of one of his works, from Rumi: "Listen to the reed, as it tells its tale / complaining of separation" -- perfect for a piper, and exquisitely executed. Ali has outdone himself this time: the painting reads "Justice" in both English and Farsi! But I digress...

Our study of John continued apace on the topic "I Am The Vine", with references back to the Old Testament, commentary from the Fathers, the appearance of John's Gospel in the Book of Common Prayer (1928), and more. I find these Bible studies more educational than many I've attended in the past and I'm not sure why, other than Fr. Daniel's hard work in preparation and the Fathers, an element that has always been missing before: there's no "Well, what does it mean to you?" element, in the sense that that settles the issue.

Fr. Daniel noted that we will have a special guest speaker next week, and I am guessing I (among others) know who our speaker will be. However, Fr. Daniel noted that we need sign-ups for The Last (light) Supper for our class next week.

Update: Fr. Daniel advised the parish today that our previous Rector, Fr. David, is recuperating from surgery back in his home country. It's not clear just what the problem was, but apparently it was quite serious. Please pray for a speedy recuperation for Fr. David.

6 Comments:

  • At 9:59 PM, Blogger The Miller Menagerie said…

    Wait, I'm confused...who brought the potato salad, because I thought someone else did. Whoever brought it, I LOVED it! Muchas gracias!

     
  • At 10:30 PM, Blogger Continuing Home said…

    It was Debra's. And it WAS delicious. (As, ahem, was the chili! You have what ought to be an award-winning recipe for meatless chili.)

     
  • At 5:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "I find these Bible studies more educational than many I've attended in the past and I'm not sure why, other than Fr. Daniel's hard work in preparation and the Fathers, an element that has always been missing before: there's no "Well, what does it mean to you?" element, in the sense that that settles the issue."

    Ah, my friend, so much for "sola scriptura"!

    Be careful! Remember what can happen to good Anglicans who read the Fathers! :)

    Still no rain.

     
  • At 8:08 AM, Blogger Continuing Home said…

    Still no rain? Still praying, my friend...

     
  • At 5:36 PM, Blogger Continuing Home said…

    kolokotronis, I had to ponder your response a while. It's true, most of the Bible studies I've been engaged in over the years have been Protestant, though hardly any have been anywhere near as bad as I portrayed them here.

    But using my innocently-made words you have put your finger squarely on the issue.

    And what DOES happen to "good Anglicans who read the Fathers"? We become friends with the Orthodox?

     
  • At 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "And what DOES happen to "good Anglicans who read the Fathers"? We become friends with the Orthodox?"

    Well, yes, one would hope so and at a minimum likely better Anglicans. Once upon a time, a "grandson of the devil" asked me a similar question and I told him he should ask a priest he knew very well.

    Still no rain, alas, however, its now night and its 50 degrees outside! Doubtless the result of my large carbon footprint!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home