Continuing Home

The ongoing saga of a Continuing Anglican church home, as seen by a member of the laity.

Friday, August 31, 2007

Lay sermons

We had another surprise Sunday, a lay preacher! Matt wrote and delivered the sermon -- and did a splendid job too. So we're blessed with at least three great preachers: Fr. Daniel, Deacon Ed and Matt.

I was a little concerned about this, recalling some language on my Lay Reader's license, but it makes sense that it's fine if approved by the rector. As Fr. Daniel notes, the language regarding preaching sermons of one's own composition without review by rector or bishop is specially licensed is for situations where the Lay Reader is the only minister at or in charge of a mission.

Still, this is something I do not ever recall encountering, so it is a surprise. But a good one.

1 Comments:

  • At 4:43 PM, Blogger Drew Miller said…

    I must admit that I'm a bit apprehensive about a layman preaching if he hasn't been explicitly licensed, even with the rector's review and approval. Then again, I don't know the canons and strictures of the APCK or the diocese all that well. I suppose it's Father McGrath's gig to do as he sees fit.

    Also, I don't want to take anything away from Matt. I think he did an outstanding job, both in composing and delivering his sermon. He'll be a tough act to follow.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home