Continuing Home

The ongoing saga of a Continuing Anglican church home, as seen by a member of the laity.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A Capella, in Four Part Harmony

It's been a busy time since the last post here, running off to Berlin for a few days, getting back late Saturday night, and dealing with jet lag and changes at home. Today I began to get back in the groove, assisting at a service tonight for St. Barnabas. It was a little confusing when I checked the Ordo Kalendar to be sure of my reading (for the Epistle) -- it said today was "St. Bartholomew's" but I knew that was August 24th. Fr. Daniel confirmed there was a little error in the Ordo Kalendar.

The service went just fine for all the turnout was small, just three families. But when it was time for the Gloria, Fr. Daniel figured he had some good voices (not mine) and directed us to Hymn 739(?) and suggested we all sing it in four parts, a cappella. It was beautiful!

Afterwards we had a nice little supper, and then the second installment of the Evangelism Class. I've been like much of the class this month... traveling. I missed last week's class due to travel, I'll miss next week's class due to travel (a week of meetings in Salt Lake City), and so it goes for most of the rest of us who aren't home sick. Maybe we'll have to redo this some other month.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Would that I were a fly on the wall for that hymn!

     
  • At 9:57 AM, Blogger Continuing Home said…

    It was beautiful to hear!

     
  • At 6:57 PM, Blogger Anglicans Aweigh said…

    It was heavenly - there's something extra spiritual about singing in ensemble with other voices, a capella. I wish we could perfect it and sing it that way all the time. I only wonder how we would all stay together as a congregation, without an organist or at least a conductor to lead it. (And I am not about to conduct from the altar!)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home