Continuing Home

The ongoing saga of a Continuing Anglican church home, as seen by a member of the laity.

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Arianism

Score one for my Greek Orthodox friend Jack. I just finished the first chapter of Heresies and How to Avoid Them, on Arianism, by the Rev. Dr. Michael B. Thompson -- and find I not only have to re-think my whole notion of heresy and heretics but discover there's so much I don't know and if I don't, what about other Christians, other Anglicans?

I think this is going to be a useful study and if the other chapters are like this, it fits into today's rushed American lifestyle, this chapter having required only a half-hour or so to read and digest. (Though probably a lot more time to ponder again after.)

The question posited in the chapter heading, "Is Jesus Christ divine and eternal or was he created?", made no sense to me. Created? What does that mean? But as I read I learned about Arius, a well-educated priest apparently of "strong faith and orthodoxy," "a stubborn man of principle" -- characteristics that are not what one generally thinks of heretics today.

The author shows how Arius arrived at the heresy that bears his name, why the orthodoxy remains important to this day, telling Bible scriptures that weight against the heresy, and how to avoid (and recognize!) the heresy today.

(In VERY short form, per request, that heresy says Jesus is external from and a creation of God for the purpose of our redemption, instead of being God himself who has done what is needed for our deliverance. I'm not going to put it down all here, though.)

I cannot but think I am a bit better armed than before against this one. I'm sure (at least I hope!) our clergy are all well aware of all this, but laity like me sometimes might be a different matter.

So, Jack, if you happen to read this -- thank you!

1 Comments:

  • At 6:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are, my friend, as always very welcome!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home