Continuing Home

The ongoing saga of a Continuing Anglican church home, as seen by a member of the laity.

Monday, January 05, 2009

Christmas End - the last reading

It having been the 12th Day of Christmas (now ended -- it's Twelfthnight and the colored Christmas lights outside are turned off), the readings from Advent and Christmas: Wisdom from G.K. Chesterton also come to an end. But not without something to ponder beyond:
The Living Church

The Christian Church in its practical relation to my soul is a living teacher, not a dead one. It not only certainly taught me yesterday, but will almost certainly teach me tomorrow. Once I saw suddenly the meaning of the shape of the cross; some day I may see suddenly the meaning of the shape of the mitre. One fine morning I saw why windows were pointed; some fine morning I may see why priests were shaven... The man who lives in contact with what he believes to be a living Church is a man always expecting... to see some truth that he has never seen before.

Orthodoxy

Chesterton is certainly much further down this road and seen more than I, but I concur: "The man who lives in contact with what he believes to be a living Church is a man always expecting... to see some truth that he has never seen before."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home