Continuing Home

The ongoing saga of a Continuing Anglican church home, as seen by a member of the laity.

Sunday, January 04, 2009

Where does he find all this stuff?

Fr. McGrath sent out his weekly parish e-mail* 45 minutes ago and I'm once again left marveling. He always opens with a great quote and this week's is no less than previous, to wit:
A patent American article

"As you perhaps know, I haven’t always been a Christian. I didn’t go to religion to make me happy (I always knew a bottle of Port would do that!). If you want a religion to make you feel really comfortable, I certainly don’t recommend Christianity. I am certain there must be a patent American article on the market which will suit you far better, but I can’t give you any advice on it." (C. S. Lewis, in Answers to Questions on Christianity, 1944)

In one sense the answer to the title question is obvious, but in another... week after week? Then again, I suppose if my profession were a bit more closely related to the church and less to ancient integrated circuitry (electronics -- something I was looking at a few minutes ago) I might have the answers.

Fr. McGrath doesn't stop there though and this week's closing bit of humor (sans graphic) seems very timely:

Biblical Humor for the Day

Q. Who was the greatest financier in the Bible?
A. Noah: he was floating his stock while everyone else was in liquidation.

Oof!

* "Parish e-mail"? We are in the center of high-tech Microsoft country and a lot of parish communications goes by e-mail, though if time is of the essence we fall back to the old standby of phone-trees, though even there one is as likely to dial up (oops -- call!) a cellphone/mobile/handy as a landline.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:06 PM, Blogger Anglicans Aweigh said…

    I could used a bottle of Port right now, although I would settle for a glass: it's snowing again. Walking home after Evensong this evening was a harrowing experience, with the "Moss Back" drivers whizzing and sliding around in their un-equipped cars. I was ready to dive into the ditch any moment to save my life. But then, I was mindful of Someone who said, "Whoever saves his life, will lose it".

    Anyway, I have this collection of short essays by CS Lewis. I think it's called "God in the Dock" - that's where I found this quote. Thanks for appreciating them.

     
  • At 5:43 PM, Blogger Continuing Home said…

    Snow again -- cost me a bit of good sleep last night, though fortunately most of the snow had melted in the rain by the time I got up.

    But now it looks like we now have to switch from skis&snowshoes to kayaks& lifeboats. The forecast is for heavy rains and flooding Tuesday through Thursday. Mossback drivers aren't very good about flooding either.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home