Continuing Home

The ongoing saga of a Continuing Anglican church home, as seen by a member of the laity.

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Choir and Hymns

We were late to church today -- or early depending on how you look at it. I had heard nothing about the practice time for the Schola Cantorum and so I assumed there was no practice today. I was overridden, however, so we headed out immediately and arrived about 9:15 (practice would have been at 9:00). No practice, but Fr. Daniel was conducting a discussion/class about the Order of Holy Communion with a couple of folks who weren't in last year's Advent Class, so we sat in.

I'm not sure what's going to happen with the Schola Cantorum right now, with at least a couple members looking at upcoming absences -- myself included, with the last trip of the year starting next Sunday (Atlanta).

Today's service was notable for all the hymns new to us -- the days of rotating through a dozen or three familiar hymns are now long gone. For today we managed the difficult 292 Riley, we struggled mightily through 357 In Babilone, but we threw in the towel with 290 High Road. Perhaps with a practiced choir, we'd do better.

An extremely astute student of the 1940 Hymnal will note a Dutch element to the selections. This was not accidental; it was in honor of one of the more senior members of our congregation who is not well -- please pray for recovery for Adrian.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:29 PM, Blogger Anglicans Aweigh said…

    CH, I am sorry about all the new hymns; sometimes I don't know which ones are new for this parish.

    Thank you for noticing the Dutch element, with the traditional melodies from the Netherlands. It's nice to do a ethnic/cultural theme occasionally,and we have a lot to choose from in The Hymnal, 1940. Welsh tunes next Sunday, anyone?

     
  • At 7:18 PM, Blogger Continuing Home said…

    Dear Anglican Parish Priest,

    Sorry? What is there to be sorry for? I am *enjoying* this "exploration" of the range of the 1940 Hymnal -- even if its tonal range doesn't match my voice very well these days.

    I can't claim credit for noticing the Dutch element. It was my Flemish-speaking (Vlaams) wife who pointed that out to me during the service.

    Welsh? Bring it on!! My wife used to sing with the Seattle Welsh Choir and I've enjoyed a number of their choir festivals ("Gymanfa Ganu") and their opening "amateur" evenings ("Noson Lawen"). The Welsh pride in their hymn-singing is quite justified, IMHO.

    (Now I wonder: what do we have in the Hymnal that's Scottish for St. Andrew's Day, 11/30?)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home