Continuing Home

The ongoing saga of a Continuing Anglican church home, as seen by a member of the laity.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Windy Wednesday

The forecast is for wind and rain tonight, and significantly strong winds tomorrow. After last December's windstorm (as recorded on this blog), it's no surprise people are getting nervous. We do get big blows from time to time, though October is perhaps a tad early. In my quarter-century in the Pacific Northwest I've seen:

1983, Thanksgiving Day: high winds knock out electricity to a million-plus homes in this county. (I learned about cooking turkeys on Weber BBQs, a tradition continued ever since. So much more tasty, for all that it never seems to go quite right!)

1992: high winds sink part of the I-90 floating bridge.

1993, Inauguration Day: winds knock out electricity to a million-plus homes in this county.

But at least St. Bartholomew's is ready if anything significant happens. Sunday I noticed that the socket for the generator had been installed and (presumably) wired to the transfer switch, some time during my travels. And I guess that if we do lose power Fr. Daniel can move over to the church -- taking care of a baby and a young child in the dark and cold, alone, sounds like an awful lot for one parent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home