Continuing Home

The ongoing saga of a Continuing Anglican church home, as seen by a member of the laity.

Sunday, December 30, 2007

6th Day of Christmas: Visitors and Camels

I can't say I was feeling very good this morning, having woken up way too early with a bit of an intestinal upset, but I was on deck to serve this morning and so I went anyway. I'm rather glad I did.

We welcomed several visitors this morning, including Mark who had visited us last year from down south. I remember last year Mark and I had talked about my visiting his church (Saint Luke's Santa Ana) when I was to be in Long Beach, CA, for a week of meetings last June, but it didn't happen. They had services Sunday morning and Wednesday evening. I was prepared to attend Wednesday evening (Sundays my meetings start at 7 AM and I'm not free until 7:30 PM), but my travel budget was cut last year and in order to make all the year's primary meetings I had to cut well back: instead of leisurely flying down Wednesday I flew down early Thursday morning, missing several hours of the first meeting (a bad thing, as it turned out).

Another couple really enjoyed their visit, saying that we're quite a friendly church. Well, that's how St. Bartholomew's was when I first visited, almost 25 years ago, and I guess it's never really changed. They say they'll be back in April; I'll look forward to that, though with my luck I'll be flying to D.C. for another week of meetings that Sunday.

(Luck: we are hosting the diocesan Synod this year and I am the main organizer -- and just learned that the wrong dates for Synod had been published and yes, it coincides with April's week of meetings. I also wanted to attend Archbishop Provence's enthronement, but I get home the night before from January's week of meetings in New York; it could be a big expense and definitely difficult timing to get to the enthronement in time.)

Fr. Daniel and Matt had a surprise for us during Announcements: next week the Outreach Group will begin a three-week study of John Stott's "Why I Am A Christian."

And I was a little surprised to see the Wise Men missing from the windowsill where they were in the last posting. I found them after the service, across the Nave next to the Creche.

5 Comments:

  • At 5:10 PM, Blogger The Miller Menagerie said…

    We sure missed everyone today. Will St. Bart's ever have a healthy congregation? Let's keep praying!

    I've seen some churches have the wisemen come closer to the creche each service until Epiphany. During Advent, they would start in the narthex, then you'd see them closer and closer each service, ending at the creche on the 6th of January. I've visited one church that let the wisemen hang out at the creche, without the Holy Family, for one service after Epiphany.

     
  • At 5:13 PM, Blogger Continuing Home said…

    We missed you folks too -- may you have a speedy recovery!

    I was wondering if this "advance" was planned that way. I've never paid attention in years previous.

     
  • At 8:35 PM, Blogger The Miller Menagerie said…

    Thank you! Drew's already improving by leaps and bounds, but that is how foodborne illness typically goes.

    I remembered that in the church that I attended as a kid, we always had various members of a citizen choir sing the 2-4 verses of We three kings while processing with the Magi. I will never forget the year that I had to sing the fourth verse, and (due to being obsessed with popular music) was very uncomfortable singing with a proper singing voice. I thoroughly wracked my voice attempting to sing with my speaking voice!

    Epiphany was always a blast as a kid. There were a group of English ladies who would save the Thanksgiving feast's turkey carcasses and would prepare a turkey soup on Epiphany. Tasty!

     
  • At 10:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    St. Bart's is indeed a warm, welcoming parish. I feel like I never left my own church in Southern CA whenever I worship with y'all. After Eucharist this morning, Fr. McGrath treated me to a very tasty Indian brunch in Redmond. That was very special. Hope we'll be seeing you this year at St. Luke's-if you are planning another trip to California that is.

    God bless,

    -Mark

     
  • At 8:13 AM, Blogger Continuing Home said…

    Mark, thank you! And a thank you to Fr. Daniel for his hospitality. I am sure I know which Indian restaurant you went to -- it's been a while for me, for all that it is very good.

    I can only hope I'll be returning to your area sometime; it's not on the calendar of my professional society meetings through 2010, but if I'm invited to speak at a local conference...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home