Continuing Home

The ongoing saga of a Continuing Anglican church home, as seen by a member of the laity.

Friday, July 04, 2008

The Ranjit Party

Well, it really should have been called called the Maya (or Meyya) Party, but I'm way ahead of myself. And since I am way ahead of myself I will go ahead and ask about the picture, "What do these people have in common?"

Answer: They all became Americans today.

In any case, "the best laid plans o' mice and men" certainly went a-gley today. The plan was simple enough: the rest of the household would head over to Carnation (the town, named after the famous dairy farm nearby) to walk with one of "our" candidates in the Independence Day parade there. Since my foot is still not healed, I would drive to the Seattle Center (just under the Space Needle) for the naturalization of a member of our church community. If possible, the rest would meet up with me -- but as the parade was to begin at 11 and the ceremony at noon, it didn't look likely, so we'd probably just meet at home later.

That was the plan.

The reality was that a few minutes after they left I got a call. Something in Seumas Ruaraidh ("Red Jimmy") had gone "snap - whizzzzz", but they couldn't see anything wrong under the hood. (Later I learned it wouldn't start out well from a stop: transmission.) We decided they should take the Jimmy to the mechanic's shop nearby and I'd go pick them up.

I dropped them on the north end of Carnation, drove to the south where I picked them up again, and we rushed off to Seattle arriving minutes after the ceremony had begun.

I suppose a stage crowded with long-winded politicians before a captive audience on a national holiday is not uniquely an American tradition, but in any event over 500 some folks plus their families and friends were treated to same. (And it didn't even end with the swearing-in, shown in the photo, several more politicians had to get up to speak afterwards.)

Afterwards those of us there to witness and celebrate Maya's naturalization decided to go out for lunch together. Hubby Ranjit called in the reservation so we became "the Ranjit party," though the party was for Maya.

Poor Maya. All she really wanted was a simple, quiet week-day ceremony, but instead she was one of those chosen to become an American on the Fourth of July -- on Independence Day! I hope Fr. Daniel will announce this on Sunday; I know the parish will be delighted.

7/06 Update: Fr. Daniel did note this during the announcements this morning. Meyya would have been thrilled to hear the surprised joy with which the announcement was received.

3 Comments:

  • At 5:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bill,
    thank you so much for writing this up, making it to the event and making the first 4th for Maya such a special event. You all made is so special.
    We were really looking forward to being at church this morning, unfortunately I had work and we couldn't make it in.

     
  • At 6:34 PM, Blogger Continuing Home said…

    Ranjit,

    You had said work might keep you away this morning -- I understand.

    But we were the ones blessed and honored; it is difficult for me to imagine giving up citizenship in the country of my birth for citizenship in another, for all that I have forebears who did the same.

    But I can tell you for a certainty that the congregation this morning were delighted at the news!

    I only wish the pictures had turned out better, but that's another story of pushing digital cameras to their limits and beyond.

     
  • At 9:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Bill, that is a fun and funny post. :-)

    It was wonderful to have you, Kathy, Heather, and your sister there - it is your presence that made the event special and meaningful for me.

    Sorry had to miss it due to work
    :-( Hope to catch up with everyone next sunday.

    --Maya

     

Post a Comment

<< Home