Continuing Home

The ongoing saga of a Continuing Anglican church home, as seen by a member of the laity.

Monday, December 15, 2008

The Caddy and the Needle

I've been a bit remiss in keeping up with the daily readings in Advent and Christmas: Wisdom from G.K. Chesterton, but as things slow down (I'm now on holiday through the end of the year) I'm catching up. For all I tend to be a news junkie some things get by me; only today did I begin to learn about the The Madoff affair.

So it was that Saturday's reading "The Camel and the Needle" jumped out at me this evening with this: "His [Christ's] words must at the very least mean this -- that rich men are not likely to be morally trustworthy...There is one thing that Christ and all the Christian saints have said with a sort of savage monotony. They have said simply that to be rich is to be in peculiar danger of moral wreck."

Which makes me wonder about the nature of being rich. By the standards of most of the world I am rich. But my car is the oldest, or maybe second-oldest, in the lot on Sunday. And I don't care -- it's a zippy fun drive regardless of its age. The day I show up driving a fancy new Caddy you might as well bury me in the blasted thing right then and there.

Having posted this, I suspect I've designated one topic for Wednesday night's discussion. Weather permittin' an' the snow don't fall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home