Continuing Home

The ongoing saga of a Continuing Anglican church home, as seen by a member of the laity.

Monday, January 11, 2010

Anglo-Catholic Fight Song

I have a video of part of this, performed by Fr. Davis, Matt and Paul, taken with my Nikon pocket camera during the Epiphany party yesterday, but will have to figure out how to get that into the right format for uploading. For now, the words to the "Anglo-Catholic Fight Song" (sung to the tune of "The Church's One Foundation"):
Our church is mighty spikey
with smells and bells and chants
And Palestrina masses
that vex the Protestants.
O happy ones and holy
who fall upon their knees
For solemn Benediction
And mid-week Rosaries.

Though with a scornful wonder
men see our clergy, dressed
In rich brocaded vestments
as slowly they process;
Yet saints their watch are keeping
lest souls be set alight
Not by the Holy Ghost, but
by incense taking flight.

Now we on earth have union
with Lambeth, not with Rome,
Although the wags and cynics
may question our true home;
But folk masses and bingo
can't possibly depose
The works of Byrd and Tallis,
or Cranmer's stately prose.

(Here shall the organist modulate)

So let the organ thunder,
sound fanfares "en chamade;"
Rejoice! For we are treading
where many saints have trod;
Let peals ring from the spire,
sing descants to high C,
Just don't let your elation
Disrupt the liturgy.
Just the thing for the next "ecumenical event" with choirs from a number of churches. I'm sure it will be well received.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:01 PM, Blogger palaeologos said…

    The Ultra-Catholic

    (By the Revd Dr. E. L. Mascall)



    I am an Ultra-Catholic-No ‘Anglo-,’ I beseech you,
    You’ll find no trace of heresy in anything I teach you.
    The clergyman across the road has whiskers and a bowler,
    But I wear buckles on my shoes and sport a feriola.


    My alb is edged with deepest lace, spread over rich black satin;
    The Psalms of David I recite in heaven’s own native Latin,
    And, though I don’t quite understand those awkward moods and tenses,
    My ordo recitandi’s strict Westmonasteriensis.


    I teach the children in my school the Penny Catechism,
    Explaining how the C. of E.’s in heresy and schism.
    The truths of Trent and Vatican I bate not one iota.
    I have not met the Rural Dean. I do not pay my quota.


    The Bishop’s put me under his ‘profoundest disapproval’
    And, though he cannot bring about my actual removal,
    He will not come and visit me or take my confirmations.
    Colonial prelates I employ from far-off mission-stations.


    The music we perform at Mass is Verdi and Scarlatti.
    Assorted females form the choir; I wish they weren’t so catty.
    Two flutes, a fiddle and a harp assist them in the gallery.
    The organist left years ago, and so we save his salary.


    We’ve started a ‘Sodality of John of San Fagondez,’
    Consisting of the five young men who serve High Mass on Sundays;
    And though they simply will not come to weekday Mass at seven,
    They turn out looking wonderful on Sundays at eleven.


    The Holy Father I extol in fervid perorations,
    The Cardinals in Curia, the Sacred Congregations;
    And, though I’ve not submitted yet, as all my friends expected,
    I should have gone last Tuesday week, had not my wife objected.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home