Continuing Home

The ongoing saga of a Continuing Anglican church home, as seen by a member of the laity.

Saturday, April 14, 2007

The ACW and hand-written HTML

Ever since I received a new wide-screen monitor at Christmas, I've been slightly annoyed at the fact that the website's top banner centered itself on the screen, but the material following (set in a table) was left-justified. This morning I finally put together the new page Anglican Church Women asked for, with their logo and in their colors, learning some more (grrr) about font and table HTML tags in the process.

In the final pre-publication preview, I suddenly noticed it was all centered, unlike the other pages. Studying the differences in the pages' source code I realized all I had to do was to move one tag and things would work the way I wanted. Happy day!

4 Comments:

  • At 4:46 PM, Blogger The Miller Menagerie said…

    I must tell you that my first reaction to your post was, "That is so precious!" But, the truth is, that's exactly how I felt when I learned HTML. I was able to teach myself first by altering font and bg color. I had an old website hosted by Angelfire (here's its embers on the Internet Archive)

    One of the funnest things for me was tweaking this tag or that tag (align="right", hmm, what happens when I say "left"). Also, now there are so many internet sites devoted to basic HTML that you can learn a great deal without soaking money on a book that you can't even sell to a used bookstore!

    Good luck in your HTML education!

     
  • At 6:08 PM, Blogger Continuing Home said…

    Thanks! Yes, I learned in much the same way with websites going back to 1998, when I got my first digital camera and starting posting event reports for the Slighe Nan Gaidheal, Seattle's Scottish Gaelic society, and the Keith Highlanders Pipe Band. I began using Netscape Composer, but it was so touchy with graphics I soon turned to doing it by hand. (Sadly, the site is completely gone, along with some really nice Celtic knotwork graphics I spent many hours developing. Can't even find it in Google's cache.)

    Now I'm dealing with more recent tags, but have learned (from a website!) that there may be a simple solution.

    I've had my nose in a Javascript book a good part of the day, so maybe I'll be able to do some REALLY annoying things on the church website soon. (grin)

     
  • At 9:48 PM, Blogger The Miller Menagerie said…

    Have you tried searching the Internet Archive? Alot of times, they don't have images of websites, but they've crawled and archived all of our old sites. I think they didn't really get up and moving until 1999, so they don't have the oldest versions of my Angelfire site, but they have old versions of our Bombadil.com and MillerMenagerie.com domains.

     
  • At 7:43 AM, Blogger Continuing Home said…

    I've tried a number of different searches... but unfortunately I don't even remember the URL! (And the "obvious" one doesn't work.) If the Wayback Machine supported text searches, I could probably get there.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home