Continuing Home

The ongoing saga of a Continuing Anglican church home, as seen by a member of the laity.

Sunday, November 04, 2007

Conflict

It was nice to have the extra hour last night, due to the return to "standard" time (why do we continue to call it "standard" when we spend less than half on it?), but it seemed hardly enough what with all the arrangements for the upcoming trip we had to do yesterday. Less than 100 hours to departure; a less than pleasant dream reminded me I need to back up the laptop before I go.

In any event, this morning comes with a conflict: Drew's class, or acolyte training? Overall it should be obvious, but there are one or two things on which I need updating -- particularly candle lighting and extinguishing order, and stance for both. We recently revised the lighting and extinguishing to be done from the side instead of in front, in order to minimize wax on the altar linens. That is considerably more difficult now with the new additional candles.

2 Comments:

  • At 4:39 PM, Blogger Drew Miller said…

    I was happy to see you made it down for at least some of our discussion on the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

    I've been intending to ask Fr. Daniel if we could arrange an adult acolyte "practicum," applying our acolyte training and discussions (both at the recent retreat and those prior to it) with some hands-on practice. We could spend one Sunday focusing on Holy Communion and another on the daily Offices (that is, during the 9-9:45 break). If there was interest, we could then practice the less common services (Holy Baptism, et. al.).

    I'll try to remember to coordinate that next time I speak with Fr. Daniel.

    Faithfully yours,
    Drew

     
  • At 4:48 PM, Blogger Continuing Home said…

    Drew,

    I was torn between the acolyte session at the beginning, and preparations of more than one sort for serving this morning and I know I didn't get as much as I would have liked out of today's session.

    Worse that I will miss next week's altogether.

    A practicum would be an excellent idea! The differences in practices here over the years, and the multiple sets of habits I've developed, coupled with service much less frequent than before, continue to trip me up from time to time.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home