Continuing Home

The ongoing saga of a Continuing Anglican church home, as seen by a member of the laity.

Sunday, February 08, 2009

There must be a Proverb for this...

"But at least I'll be able to rejoin the Proverbs class Sunday..."

Ever the optimist. My batting average is just .250, out of four classes I made it to only one -- the first. Being out of town and being exhausted to the verge of becoming ill (before traveling) kept me from two of the classes. The last class was today and I missed that one too.

It wasn't for lack of trying, but my laptop died on the way home from Europe last night and when I was quite awake at 5 AM (as I will have to be for tomorrow's journey out) it seemed a good opportunity to head into the office to see what files I could pull off the machine, in particular the incompletely-updated powerpoint(s) I will be presenting this week in Virginia. No more than an hour or so and I'd be back to get the household up in plenty of time for class, I thought.

Ever the optimist. Just before 8 AM I call home to get the household up. By 8:15 it's clear I'm not going to get home to get dressed properly in time for church, so I suggest they come by work (it's on the way) with a proper change of clothes.

About 9 AM I'm finished arranging for a corporate computer repairman to come by and fix the laptop this week plus I have an alternate machine ready to go, and household is waiting out in the parking lot. Oops. I forgot to ask them to also bring shoes.

So they go on to class and I go home to change, arriving ten minutes before the service but at least the computer situation is resolved for the trip.

There must be a Proverb for this... but I missed most of the Proverbs class, am behind on my daily reading and so I can't think of one.

Speaking of missing things, I also missed yesterday's "Acolyte Appreciation Day" -- as reminded by the lingering tantalizing scents here and there around the Parish Hall, from Ranjit's chicken curry for the acolytes yesterday. It must have been excellent! And tucked in today's bulletin was a little "Acolyte Devotions" flyer with prayers for before and after the service by Augustine of Hippo, John Donne and John Calvin, now posted on the corkboard above the computer.

And speaking again of missing things, the Gospel procession hymn was an old favorite I don't recall singing since my teenage years: #576, Ora Labora:

Come, labor on.
Who dares stand idle, on the harvest plain,
While all around him waves the golden grain?
And to each servant does the Master say,
“Go work today.”
Thank you, Fr. McGrath.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:23 PM, Blogger The Miller Menagerie said…

    I love that hymn. We never sang it, as a child, until we had a priest retire. Our long time vicar left, and the new guy loved this hymn. The old guard wasn't fond of it, at first, but eventually, it became an old favorite. And, a good thing too because the sentiment is AWESOME.

     
  • At 1:45 PM, Blogger Anglicans Aweigh said…

    I rediscovered my love for the hymn last Summer when I heard it at the Cathedral of Saint John the Evangelist in Spokane. Ever since I was in the ample space there, and experienced the beautiful acoustic environment, I have been in a "slow" mood in terms of hymn tempo. I'm not sure about the "acoustic environment" of our small space at Saint Bartholomew's, but I do think Jospehine chose a very good tempo for ora labora on Sunday, which made this hymn even more effective! Thank you!

     
  • At 7:40 PM, Blogger Continuing Home said…

    Josephine's tempo, and more, was perfect! Took me back over (gulp) 40 years...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home