Continuing Home

The ongoing saga of a Continuing Anglican church home, as seen by a member of the laity.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Lenten Class with snow

In what seems to be becoming a litany of its own, our first Lenten Class was beset by snow. And not just snow but "popcorn snow" -- what looks like tiny little snowballs falling from the sky. We get this from time to time but rarely, and I have never before seen it fall as anything but the lightest of flurries.

Not tonight.

Headed the few miles north from Redmond to Woodinville on Avondale Road, after work, I began to notice snow on rooftops, then on the ground alongside the road, then on the road, and then the road became ice. Took me longer than I'd anticipated to get to church; I arrived a minute or two after Evensong was supposed to have begun, though I was the first arrival after the McGraths.

After Evensong we hardy few (I didn't count) went down to the Parish Hall for a light supper -- a very tasty soup (thank you Debra!), a choice of salads and bread/cornbread (neither of which, we were advised, was exactly what it seemed -- the cornbread was gluten-free and there was something about the other bread and I may have it all wrong, but it all tasted good).

Tonight we learned the background of "The Gospel According to John", in many different ways -- including such things as its frequent appearance in the Lectionary of the 1928 Book of Common Prayer, its difference from the "Synoptic Gospels" (Matthew, Mark and Luke), and at least some of the conjectures spawned by the same.

Assignment for next week: Read chapters 1-6, and particularly 6 because next week's class will focus on that. We simply don't have the time to go verse by that we did in a previous class, noted here in many posts as "A Long Way Through Ephesians." Fr. Daniel has outlined our course the next few weeks.

After class I took a look outside... and the popcorn snow was coming down very heavily. Thankfully once I left Woodinville I saw only flakes on the way home, but it started up here at home an hour ago and is continuing steadily.

At least if it winds up being a snow day tomorrow, I'll have plenty of time for my reading assignment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home