Continuing Home

The ongoing saga of a Continuing Anglican church home, as seen by a member of the laity.

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Soggy Soirée

The only reason I am posting tonight is that DeeDee asked for copies of the "good" photos I took of our soirée tonight, to send to Monty for an article for the provincial newsletter, deadline today. (And Deedee, this is about the best you'll get for attendant copy too.) It's been a brutally exhausting week and a half trying to produce the seven powerpoints I now have to do for speaking engagements this fall and I wouldn't be online but for that request. (I'm really happy she took on the job of liaison because I'd clearly be swamped.) But I digress...

For several weeks now Fr. McGrath and others unknown have been planning the celebration of St. Bartholomew's 30th -- on St. Bartholomew's Day our parish will be 30 years old! I'm not sure what all went into the planning, but the decision was made for the big parish celebration to be this evening, four days early. A cookout at the McGrath's new domicile (a cute, cozy home on a full acre -- this close into town is amazing), with our master chef Drew manning the grill (and yes, Matt, we should have asked you too) to be followed by musical entertainment including symphony cellist Ruby, Dr. Josephine on piano, and flautist Claire. They did not take advantage of having a male piper in the parish to fully round out the group.

But as I have quoted Robert Burns on this blog before, "the best laid plans o' mice and men gang aft a-gley," and in fact it not only rained it poured on the event. At least for my arrival. But Fr. McGrath had taken note of the forecast (so unusual for August!) and so there was a shelter outside to add to the space inside for the attendees.

I'm guessing half the parish turned out, those who were in town. Slow at first, when I was still using the camera. Later, well, there simply wasn't enough seating everywhere.

We had a break from the rain for dinner and while the musicians tuned up (and no, baby Gloria Christi here was not part of the planned entertainment). But by that time I was worn out and had to head home -- early morning teleconference with folks on the East Coast and Europe. But on the way I encountered high winds and another storm from the southwest passing through the area. So it looks like the Soirée will be remembered as soaked, beginning and end.

3 Comments:

  • At 9:22 PM, Blogger The Miller Menagerie said…

    Thanks so much for this! I know you are super busy, so I appreciate the sacrifice of your time, all the more!

    I'll be praying that you don't get run down from all of your job requirements. With all the sickness that's been floating through your house, now is the perfect time to get sick. Wait...I mean NOT get sick, but that's never how it goes.

     
  • At 3:20 PM, Blogger Anglicans Aweigh said…

    I said to my 4 year old son Danny, "We're going to have the Church over to our house!". He sighed and said, "No, that would be too heavy..."

    Rain, sun, good food, an outdoor Pavilion, a Bouncy Castle, live classical music by our very own musicians...a good time was had by all.

    Here's to the next 30 years at St. Bartholomew's!

     
  • At 6:19 PM, Blogger Continuing Home said…

    Amen!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home