Continuing Home

The ongoing saga of a Continuing Anglican church home, as seen by a member of the laity.

Sunday, August 23, 2009

Fierce Wild Priest

I cracked up when Fr. Davis noted, before his homily, how somebody in Redding (I didn't note who) got the words to today's hymn for the Sunday School procession mixed up. The hymn was "I sing a song of the saints of God..." and two words were transposed in the second verse:
...
And one was a soldier and one was a beast
And one was slain by a fierce wild priest
....
Only time will tell whether I will shake this mental image I formed of Fr. Davis as a fierce wild priest...

4 Comments:

  • At 7:18 PM, Blogger The Miller Menagerie said…

    I think nearly every priest has heard that mix up. I remember one fellow that was vicar at my childhood parish has told this story of how one of his detractors regularly, purposefully sang the words wrong.

    That was a foretelling of things to come, with that guy. We should have paid a bit more attention to the story! :)

     
  • At 12:31 AM, Blogger Caitlín said…

    I have a personal history with this hymn from my childhood summers at Old Black Point (near Niantic) on the Connecticut shore. My maternal grandmother organized regular Sunday hymn sings complete with "name that hymn" contests for the kids and musical chairs for the adults. Somehow, no matter how well things were planned, some adults had to sit on the floor with the kids. One adult volunteer gave a weekly message (a different one each week). We had no church building, and no priest to lead us, but people took turns reading from the Holy Bible and sharing prayer concerns and praise reports. It was old fashioned "fellowship" enhanced with modern instruments and thrilling voices - oh yes, and let's not forget the dogs howling right along. What joy filled the host's house that week. The following week, it was on to the next house....

     
  • At 10:09 AM, Blogger palaeologos said…

    My favorite parody of this hymn goes :
    "And one was hung, and one was shot
    And one was fried on a griddle hot
    And however they died, it hurt a lot
    And I want to be one too!"

     
  • At 12:41 PM, Anonymous Will said…

    That was hilarious, I thought. BTW please allow me to congratulate you on your new rector. May God bless him and all your parish.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home