Continuing Home

The ongoing saga of a Continuing Anglican church home, as seen by a member of the laity.

Sunday, August 02, 2009

Hot as Hades (got a pitchfork?)

Attendance at today's Mass was down considerably. Not sure why, but can guess: 1) some folks are on summer vacation (holiday), some folks are attending this weekend's SeaFair festival: Seattle's big midsummer blow-out --parades and many other events, culminating in the weekend Hydroplane Races in Lake Washington with massive attendance on-shore and off and aerial thrills such as the Blue Angels fighter team and various propeller-craft pilots doing impressive stunts-- or 3) hiding out someplace that had air-conditioning (of the cooling variety).

It was hot, though Deacon Ed's excellent sermon based on Ezekiel 3 with its contrast of "but his blood will I require at thy hand" versus "thou has delivered thy soul" was anything but light. Especially after review of same in the Scripture Study class at 9 AM. Maybe this is part of why it is easier to evangelize abroad than at home? (On my first flight home yesterday my seatmate was a man involved with establishing churches in China -- last year, he said, he'd flown over there 14 times. That's a LOT of miles spent in airplane seats!)

Enough showed up that I couldn't call it a "low" Sunday. But it was hot enough to get some amusement from the bulletin item from the Garden Guild asking if, for the sake of our gardens, somebody could donate a pitchfork?

Ladies, the gardens are beautiful but now this botanically-ignorant one just has to ask, what on Earth (or otherwise) are you tending there?

4 Comments:

  • At 9:15 PM, Blogger The Miller Menagerie said…

    The Miller Menagerie pleads "morning sickness" as th cause of our absence. The heat seems to compound it, unfortunately. Hopefully, the Sea Bands will mitigate the nausea, and we'll be back in church by next Sunday!

     
  • At 11:21 AM, Anonymous William H Eldridge said…

    Since learning that my Son-in-law, Father Robert Davis, was to become your new Rector, I have been following your Church's webpage and your blog with great interest. My Wife and I pray daily that Fr. Robert and his family will be a blessing to your Church and your community. For you information, Fr. Robert is a great love of music and has a large CD collection of orchestras from around the world. Cynthia is a great cook (her sausage-egg breakfast casarole(sp??)is well known in Redding. Of course we cannot say anything bad about the twins. My Wife and I are looking forward to a trip to visit the latter part of this year.

     
  • At 8:57 AM, Blogger Continuing Home said…

    Mr. Eldridge,

    I *know* Fr. Davis and family will be a blessing to our parish -- and I trust to the community around us as well! We will look forward to your visit as well.

     
  • At 10:52 AM, Blogger Caitlín said…

    I am very much looking forward to the arrival of Fr. Davis, Cynthia and the twins. I have had the pleasure of visiting with them at Synod and watching the twins grow up. What a joy it will be to have them all here with us. I will not lay claim to the title of Parish Organist, but that is the position I currently occupy. My gifting in music is more toward the piano, the guitar and the harp - yes, a Celtic Harp! I remember Fr. Davis' delight when I brought it to Synod when we had it here in Redmond. With joy and thanksgiving to God I will praise Him with the harp upon their arrival. Cead Mile Failte!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home