Continuing Home

The ongoing saga of a Continuing Anglican church home, as seen by a member of the laity.

Sunday, February 17, 2008

A visit to St. Mark's Cathedral

Thanks to various circumstances, I almost did not make it to St. Mark's Cathedral this morning for the 7 AM service. As it was, I dashed in right at 7 AM through the warming humid air while the bell was ringing to announce the service and the processional hymn began. I had been so rushed after the overtime phone-call from home that I even forgot my glasses, which made following the service a bit difficult.

Unlike Christ Church, Vienna, the service here was different; the liturgy had been modernized and shortened, though the prayer book noted the latter for this service. Still, it was recognizable and a few of the prayers/creed were mostly the same.

The people were nice, overcoming my usual discomfort of being the obvious outsider (since business was to ensure soon after I wore my business suit, and I was evidently the only non-Indian present). And I have to say, they had quite a good turnout for an early Sunday morning service!

The hymnal was interesting -- like this item before, they had only the words and not the music. Curious.

Later in the day I had time free to walk about this corner of Bangalore, and see and shoot the state High Court and Legislature buildings, giant buildings in which our state capitol could be lost just in their janitors' closets.

On the way, I noticed something interesting -- on the western terminus of Mahatma Gandhi Road (aka "MG Road") St. Mark's had an LED rotating signboard with a message, here John 16:2, followed by the text.

3 Comments:

  • At 2:54 PM, Blogger Anglicans Aweigh said…

    Thanks for taking the time to write and let us know about your worship experience. What a beautiful Church - and I'll bet it's a great place to 'beat the heat' of S. India.

    BTW, I have been enjoying the online broadcasts of Choral Evensong from the Church you visited a couple weeks ago, St. Thomas, 5th Ave., NYC.

     
  • At 6:48 PM, Blogger Continuing Home said…

    Fr. Daniel, you're welcome.

    As regards "beating the heat," I'm not so sure. Even that morning all windows and doors were open, and the fans were going. I suspect in summer it's quite hot.

    But the church was beautiful, and the people nice.

     
  • At 11:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Finally got to reading this entry. Thank you so much for these photos. Seeing these two photos really takes me back home :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home